Winners of a Listed Status Award from the Institution of Mechanical Engineers.
Check our Facebook page for weekly updates
and open day
Video - History of Coleham Pumping Station by Ian Cooper. here.
The sounds of the pumping station working during 1968.
The Reader enclosed double acting steam engine.
Restored by members of the Trust in 2010.
Manufactured by E Reader & Sons of Nottingham this machine was supplied new circa 1943 and could be considered as the final form of the steam engine before it was replaced by the internal combustion engine. Similar machine (albeit much larger) were installed on ships to provide electricity for the lighting.
This particular machine was donated to the trust for display. Upon inspection it was found to be in a very poor condition and required many hours of work to repair and in some cases new parts such as the oil pump and several shafts had to be manufactured.
It is displayed connected to a 1941 GEC 110 volt DC generator to show how it would have been used in it's working days.
It's restoration was masterminded by Mike Glover and Al Ingle and others with technical assistance from John Maclean.
Ready for display
Cleaned and ready for re-assembly.
Top of the steam cylinder.
Fitting the pipework.
Making the parts.
Machining the bearings.
Generator makers plate
Early days on the machine floor.